Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Best Paintings of San Francisco

This is a shameless pitch for Johnny Musgrove's uniquely observant, not-your-everyday paintings of San Francisco. Neighborhoods like Golden Gate Heights and the Sunset (not typical SF subject matter) are rendered in exquisite detail, the warm and cool colors of our city light perfectly captured on canvas. My favorites are of vaguely familiar SF streetscapes that give me pause...I know that corner, don't I? Crissy Field and Camp Mather are equally rendered with details that only someone who deeply loves those places can provide (who also happens to be a gifted artist). Gazing at his magical painting of Birch Lake (Mather-ites know what I mean) on my living room wall on a gray January day transports me to the hot Yosemite sun (gin and tonics, anyone?). What can I say? I'm a fan.

www.musgrovepainting.com

No comments:

Post a Comment